Saturday, November 3, 2018

Jonah turns 8

My sweet boy, 







We let you grow your hair long because you were Harry Potter for Halloween. I cut it before your birthday... :) 























I'm only about 3 weeks late writing this post. That's pretty good for me. I've been so behind on everything lately. 
You are now 8 years, 3 weeks old. How can that be? I swear we just brought you home from the hospital! 
You are our tall boy. I think you are about 4 feet 6 inches or so. You come up to my shoulders almost. You still love to snuggle and carry blue blue around everywhere you go. It's so sweet. Blue is looking pretty haggard these days but you still say its the softest blanket in the world. You just got a new bedroom set from your Mema and it's awesome! You love your new bed and we got Harry Potter sheets and decor. You love Harry Potter right now. You and your Dad have been reading it at night for months. You're on book 4 and we're stopping there. We're going to let you see the movie too. It's fun and I love all the cute decor and toys. You got two hermit crabs from your Dad for your birthday and you named them Harry and Ron :) The original Harry died but new Harry is doing great. 
You love school so much and have excelled in everything. You set the bar for the MAPS test. They said your scores were around a 6th grade level and even higher in reading. They've been testing you for a program called TREC and they say you're a shoe in. It's a program for gifted and creative kids who need to be challenged. Perfect for you. You'll get to take a bus off campus one day each week and go to the TREC Center for Gifted Education. You'll be doing different projects but stuff like building robots, problem solving, research and development projects, creative thinking, taking electronics apart and learning how they work then putting them back together, etc. So many cool things you're going to learn! I'm so excited for you!! We haven't heard back yet. I think you have one more test to take and then they decide. I guess it's pretty exclusive so there's 3 rounds of hardcore tests. We'll see..fingers crossed. You get so bored in class and Mrs Hartsock knows this. She gives you harder work to do and for any math question she gives you have to add 100 to the numbers so that it's more challenging. I'm glad she recognizes this in you and has figured out ways to keep you busy. 
You also start speech therapy this week. You've had a hard time with your R's and L's since you started talking and we all thought it would work itself out but hasn't yet. They said you have a pretty mild case so they think it won't take long to correct. It's an hour a week at school and you're really looking forward to starting the program. You're so sweet about it. You are well aware of your issues and keep telling us how excited you are to start speech.
You love to color and create comic style books. You spend about 1-2 hours a day drawing and coloring. You always come out to show us these awesome little books you've made. Lately, it's been mario themed. You're really into Mario, Harry Potter and dinosaurs. 
You've lost 7 teeth now. The last tooth we didn't even see come out. You woke up and it was gone. We think you swallowed it :( 
You love to play outside when the weather is nice. You've got a friend 2 houses down named Cooper and you guys play for hours outside. Sissy plays too and you're very sweet about protecting her from any rough housing. You guys play in your room and upstairs too. I don't mind. I'd rather you have your friends at our house. I don't let you go to other peoples houses without me because I am over protective and I know it. Sorry baby..
Meals are always an issue...I can't even. We try and you're so stubborn and won't try anything! Topic over. Ugh.
You're wearing size 8-10 in clothes and size 3-4 in shoes. You hate anything tight and have decided to stop wearing underwear. It's been going on for about 4-6 months..it was such an issue at first. We would make you wear underwear and then hear you complain about it constantly so one day I just said fine! You've been going commando since. Whatever...to each his own, right? We JUST got you back into wearing socks. You said you were going to quit wearing socks for the rest of your life but I found some you liked so now you have a few pairs you'll wear. I let it go during the summer but not during the winter. 
You guys are back to school today. It's quiet. 

You rarely sleep the night through. You've never been a great sleeper...so around 1am or so we hear you running through the living room to our room where you run to Dad's side and ask for a drink of his water (which he always has ready for you) and then you climb in and get as close to your Dad as you can then go back to sleep till 6 or so. A couple nights a week Journey comes in as well and at least one night a week Jovi is in there too. She's the best night sleeper out of anyone! It's on these mornings when I wake up and look over and see these 4 beautiful souls laying next to me that I feel as close to heaven as I think anyone can. You guys are my whole world and you started it all! You made me a mommy and I am so grateful for you. 
Your Dad and I are incredibly proud of you. Every single day. You bring joy to my heart and a smile to my face with things you say, looks you give. I know you. 
You don't like me to kiss you at school anymore. You had a talk with me about it and said I can hug you but no kissing. :( I understand..I get it but it still hurts. You kinda don't want to hold my hand at school anymore either and rarely do it at all. I always knew in the back on my mind..way back of my mind that there could possibly be a day where things like this would start happening. Little things that were so natural before are becoming forced and I no likey. 
I guess I need to roll with it and find a new natural for us. I'm starting to let you do things that I wouldn't before. Trying to give you more responsibility and let you know that I trust you because I really do. I can't trust your scheming sister and the baby doesn't even know what's going on but I can trust you. You are honest and your Dad and I appreciate when you step up like we've seen you do recently.  










As I say every year and almost daily..when God gave us you he gave us a little piece of heaven. Happy birthday my sweet boy. Have a blast being 8!

Love, Mommy

0 Comments: