Thursday, October 7, 2021

JK's First Day of TREC

She tested for TREC at the end of first grade and wasn't prepared at all. She didn't even make it through the first round of testing so we were so happy to hear that the students are able to retest every year. She began testing the second or third week of school and got through two rounds and then the final test was the big one. It would determine placement. She came home feeling pretty confident so we felt good about it. Weeks go by and nothing. Classes are the TREC center and they had already started. Jonah is there in the LAW unit. He's learning so much about felonies, juries and how the whole judicial system works. I keep wafting for him to come home telling me how messed up the system really is. LOL
So finally the 6th week of school I was sitting drinking my morning coffee and going through my emails and boom there it was. I saw the email was from Jean Womack (the TREC director) and saw the subject line: GT Placement Test Results....
I quickly opened it and scanned it looking for words I had read before when we got Jonah's acceptance email..

Your child was screened and tested for the Bentonville School District Gifted and Talented Education Program (TREC). The evaluation of your child has been reviewed by the District Gifted & Talented Identification Committee.  Based upon the assessment data, the committee has recommended:

 

PLACEMENT IN TREC


I was so happy I didn't even read the rest of the email I just ran across the house to Justin and shoved my phone in his face. We hugged and smiled so big and just breathed a sigh of relief. I just know she would've been crushed if she hadn't of made it in. 

I ran and got her some flowers, a Congrats balloon and a stuffy and had the email printed out on the bar so when she walked in from school she would see it. I am just realizing that I didn't even get  picture of it. :( But I did get video so I'll post it. 


We are so proud of our gifted babies and feel incredibly blessed that they are in a school system that recognizes their potential and has programs designed to challenge even the brightest kids. Our JK has officially joined the TREC team and we hope that she has the best year in the Rocketry unit. GO JOURNEY!!!!!

0 Comments: