Geez. How in the world did you get to be so big? I was holding you in my arms just yesterday staring at you wondering how in the world I got so lucky to have my very own baby boy and now you're standing next to me and I only have to lean down a bit to embrace you...
You're very tall. We hear that a lot about you and sis. We also hear about how smart and handsome you are. We hear that a lot too. You are so smart Jones. We always knew you would be but you are actually kinda scary smart. You've mastered addition and subtraction skills long ago and are now loving multiplication and division problems. You work them all out in your head. Your dad also has you thinking about the square roots of numbers and how it works. I've listened to you guys discuss Math and it makes me smile. I have a feeling this is something that will be a constant in our house. You two are math and science whizzes and love figuring and talking about how things work and finding solutions for problems. You guys talk about adding odd numbers together vs adding even numbers together and how to break down long math problems into simpler ones so it can be done in your head. It's crazy Jonah. You just get stuff. You ask questions and then remember the answer.
Your reading is on a 4th and 5th grade level but comprehension at that level needs some work. Really there isn't anything you can't read. You are fluid and fast when you read and I can't remember the last time a word stumped you.
You're teaching Journey every day and I can't believe how fast she is picking it up. She is reading books now Jonah!!! You are such a wonderful teacher and you are patient with her. You do sight word flash cards with her all the time and encourage her when she gets frustrated.
You absolutely LOVE first grade and tell me pretty much every day. You tell me you're glad it's Friday but that you will miss Mrs Gunter and your friends over the weekend. You have a passion for learning and I think that's why you love school so much. You tell me that you don't learn anything new..only sometimes which makes me sad. I know you're so advanced but Mrs Gunter said you are never boastful or say "I already knew that.." You just do the assignment. I really hope she is looking into areas where you can be challenged because I don't want you to get bored. We keep talking about Kumon and I think that is still an option. It's an extra after school program for kids who love math and science. Which has your name all over it. They do fun challenging work and I think it would be really good for you. We're doing baseball right now so I think once the season is over we will get your into that.
We got your MAP test results back and had a conference with Mrs Gunter about them. This is an assessment that they do twice a year at school. This was your third time taking the test so we are seeing your Fall and Spring Kindergarten scores and now your Fall 1st grade scores. Your RIT scores were insanely high. In both Math and Reading. They put down that you are in the 99 percentile and Mrs Gunter said that it would actually be 100 but they don't go that high. She was really impressed that your scores went up so much from K to 1st. She said usually they go down over the summer. Not for my boy! The bar graphs shows your scores in blue and your bar is the highest by far. :) You set the bar dude.
She basically said everything we already knew. That you are highly intelligent. She said that at this point you are ok where you are but when you get to be in 3rd and 4th grade that we would need to possibly make some changes in your education by taking accelerated classes. They offer those in the higher grades so we will definitely look into that when the time comes. She was quick to say though that she loves bragging on your brain but that she mostly wanted to brag on your character. She said that you are polite, helpful and a complete joy to be around. And that she thinks that is so important..just as important as being smart. She said you were a good boy and well liked by all...never in trouble. And I can't tell you how good it feels to hear this..although we already knew..it's nice to see others recognize how wonderful you are.
We got your MAP test results back and had a conference with Mrs Gunter about them. This is an assessment that they do twice a year at school. This was your third time taking the test so we are seeing your Fall and Spring Kindergarten scores and now your Fall 1st grade scores. Your RIT scores were insanely high. In both Math and Reading. They put down that you are in the 99 percentile and Mrs Gunter said that it would actually be 100 but they don't go that high. She was really impressed that your scores went up so much from K to 1st. She said usually they go down over the summer. Not for my boy! The bar graphs shows your scores in blue and your bar is the highest by far. :) You set the bar dude.
She basically said everything we already knew. That you are highly intelligent. She said that at this point you are ok where you are but when you get to be in 3rd and 4th grade that we would need to possibly make some changes in your education by taking accelerated classes. They offer those in the higher grades so we will definitely look into that when the time comes. She was quick to say though that she loves bragging on your brain but that she mostly wanted to brag on your character. She said that you are polite, helpful and a complete joy to be around. And that she thinks that is so important..just as important as being smart. She said you were a good boy and well liked by all...never in trouble. And I can't tell you how good it feels to hear this..although we already knew..it's nice to see others recognize how wonderful you are.
You love dragons and all things beastly. You love mythical characters too and make up your own a lot. They are usually hybrid type creatures with cool powers. You draw them, color them then cut them out and have battles. You will sit in your room and create and battle for hours. I love hearing you playing in there and you'll let JK play too sometimes...
You love to come up with games involving your animals. You rank each one then make a spreadsheet and then you divide them up evenly between whoever is playing then we battle using your ranking system. You always end up winning though... :)
You're a dancing machine and can't stop your body from moving when a good tune comes on. Your favorite movie and book series right now is Captain Underpants and Dogman. You read an entire Dogman book in an afternoon once. You just piled up on your bed and read and read until it was over. I absolutely love your love for reading. I used to read a lot too when I was young and still love to read but don't get much time to do it.
You're not much of an outdoorsy type guy. You really do prefer the indoors like your mom but you're always down for camping or playing basketball with your Dad. It's never something you do on your own but will do it if it's suggested.
I brag a lot on your smarts and sweetness but you do have a temper too. And sometimes thats brag worthy too. Lol You've been known to throw some gnarly fits. It's definitely rare but if something doesn't go your way or you feel you've been wronged in some way...you let us know about it. The latest fit was actually because I decorated for Fall while you were at school and you saw it when you got home and lost your shit because you wanted to help me....it was a doozy.
You have a very smart mouth and talking back is the thing you get in trouble for the most right now. You're quick to come back to anything I say...either correcting me or saying something about how Journey didn't do this or that you did this because of something I did earlier.. oh man. It's exhausting. Your mouth gets the best of you and it's not okay. You spend time by yourself in your room when you get mouthy.
You are still the most picky eater in the entire universe. Your sis is right there with you. I can't even talk about it.
You weigh about 60 pounds I think..and you're super tall. I still love picking out your clothes and you usually don't mind what I pick. Socks and wedgies are something you complain about but usually forget about it soon. You take showers all by yourself and won't even let us help you with shampooing your hair. You tell us you're a big boy and we let you be.
I'm buying size 8 skinny jeans and size 8/10 shirts. They're super big though and we roll the sleeves on the new ones you got for your birthday. You are wearing size 3 in shoes now but they're pretty big too. You don't like anything tight.
You love pizza! We eat at Bariola's almost every Friday night and it's always your favorite. They have an ice cream machine there and it's free so you guys love getting dessert after dinner and serving yourself. You color pictures and they hang them up in the front of the restaurant. They once forgot and you went up there and reminded them to do it. Lol..
Yes, you're 7 but you still curl up in my arms and snuggle. You love to lay in bed with me and just lay super close while we watch a show. You've always done this and I pray you always want to be close to me. I can still hold you too and carry you around sometimes when you let me. You kids love turning into babies. You say "Pretend we're twins and you just had us yesterday" and then immediately turn into invalids. It's hilarious. You lose all ability to do anything on your own.
I've said this all your life and it's just as true today as it was the moment you were born. God definitely blessed us with a little piece of heaven when he gave us you.
We treasure you sweet boy and pray that you continue to blossom and grow and to always keep your faith in God.
Happy Birthday Jonie. Have fun being 7!!!!
Love, Mommy
xoxoxoxoxoxox
I brag a lot on your smarts and sweetness but you do have a temper too. And sometimes thats brag worthy too. Lol You've been known to throw some gnarly fits. It's definitely rare but if something doesn't go your way or you feel you've been wronged in some way...you let us know about it. The latest fit was actually because I decorated for Fall while you were at school and you saw it when you got home and lost your shit because you wanted to help me....it was a doozy.
You have a very smart mouth and talking back is the thing you get in trouble for the most right now. You're quick to come back to anything I say...either correcting me or saying something about how Journey didn't do this or that you did this because of something I did earlier.. oh man. It's exhausting. Your mouth gets the best of you and it's not okay. You spend time by yourself in your room when you get mouthy.
You are still the most picky eater in the entire universe. Your sis is right there with you. I can't even talk about it.
You weigh about 60 pounds I think..and you're super tall. I still love picking out your clothes and you usually don't mind what I pick. Socks and wedgies are something you complain about but usually forget about it soon. You take showers all by yourself and won't even let us help you with shampooing your hair. You tell us you're a big boy and we let you be.
I'm buying size 8 skinny jeans and size 8/10 shirts. They're super big though and we roll the sleeves on the new ones you got for your birthday. You are wearing size 3 in shoes now but they're pretty big too. You don't like anything tight.
You love pizza! We eat at Bariola's almost every Friday night and it's always your favorite. They have an ice cream machine there and it's free so you guys love getting dessert after dinner and serving yourself. You color pictures and they hang them up in the front of the restaurant. They once forgot and you went up there and reminded them to do it. Lol..
Yes, you're 7 but you still curl up in my arms and snuggle. You love to lay in bed with me and just lay super close while we watch a show. You've always done this and I pray you always want to be close to me. I can still hold you too and carry you around sometimes when you let me. You kids love turning into babies. You say "Pretend we're twins and you just had us yesterday" and then immediately turn into invalids. It's hilarious. You lose all ability to do anything on your own.
I've said this all your life and it's just as true today as it was the moment you were born. God definitely blessed us with a little piece of heaven when he gave us you.
We treasure you sweet boy and pray that you continue to blossom and grow and to always keep your faith in God.
Happy Birthday Jonie. Have fun being 7!!!!
Love, Mommy
xoxoxoxoxoxox
0 Comments:
Post a Comment