Monday, July 29, 2013

We Actually Went Somewhere..

We've had a pretty lame laid back summer. Since we're off to Gulf Shores in 12 days we've been taking it easy and saving but then last Thursday Justin had an excellent idea. We are far from spontaneous and often lazy so this was pretty exciting for us. We packed up the kiddos and headed to Tulsa, OK for an Aquarium and Zoo adventure. We stayed in a hotel Saturday night and what was meant to be just a walk to the pool to put our feet in the water turned into a naked baby girl bouncing around in a jacuzzi and a half naked toddler running back and forth from the pool to the hot tub. Thank goodness we were the only ones enjoying the indoor facilies. We didn't bring swim suits but that has never stopped us before.


Journey rocked the one shoe look for most of the day until we found it later

He loved feeding his sister dip n dots. He chose cookies n cream..I'm sure it was only because it had "cookies" in the name.
The shark was hungry so instead of eating Journey, Jonah shared his water with him. 
We ended our adventure at the aquarium after the shark exhibit. Jonah crawled through tunnels where he could look up and see huge amazon fish swimming above him and I had fun with a little animated game where I got to feed hungry sharks. I've never been more attractive.
The next morning we set off for the zoo. We got there early to beat the heat and the crowds.
First stop..the elephants. Elephant to be exact. There was only one and I could tell he was sad and lonely. He moped around his small enclosure longing for a friend. I read that they are expanding the elephant exhibit and will have more soon and a much bigger area. Poor Maverick did get in the water and sprayed himself which was neat to watch but he mostly stayed far away.  
These babes are just too cute for their own good. 

Our favorite!!! Jonah kept asking to see the meerkats all morning so we spent a lot of time watching them dig. They were so social and cute. I want one!
Watching the meerkats play
Made it just in time to see the sea lion show. This little guy was so sweet and did everything he was asked. 

Played on the train. Jonah ran up to a little girl and said "oh hi!" about 10 times and she never responded. Poor Jonah tried to be friends but she kept running away. That little shit. 

Feeding the goats. Jonah kept asking where the cows were. Of all things, he wanted cows. So we spotted some on the drive home in a field. 
Last picture of the day. They were getting tired, hot and hungry by this time. We were near meltdowns so we booked it out of there quick after we stopped for lunch at the Safari Grill on site. JK whined the rest of the way out until we got in the air conditioned car. She does not like being hot and sweaty and neither does her mommy. We both perked up once we cooled down and she slept the whole way home. We only had one major meltdown in the gift shop at the Aquarium. It was our eldest who threw himself to the ground screaming for an octopus he didn't really want but was mad we took it away. It lasted about 45 seconds but seemed much longer when everyone is staring at you. I did nothing..I let the tantrum happen because what else am I to do? After he had his fit he picked himself up, smiled and said he was done and ready to go.

We left Tulsa feeling like pretty awesome parents. The kids were rock stars besides the gift shop meltdown. I'd say all in all it was a success and we will definitely be going back to the zoo to see all we didn't get to. 

0 Comments: