You're 6!!!! It's hard to write that. You even still forget and say you're 5. It takes you a minute to remember. My passionate, brilliant, handsome little man. You look more like your Daddy every day. You're tall and love to jump into my arms and wrap your whole self around me and let me hold you. I get to cuddle you every day. It's our "cuddle time" and usually after school. You miss me and love to be close. I embrace every chance I get to be close to you. :)
You're reading is far advanced for your age and Ms Elington placed you in a higher reading group. You leave class during certain times and join other children who are on your level. She told us that she feels you are more advanced than the other children in all areas and she is finding ways to keep you engaged. I knew this would be our struggle but I also know that you are in a very good school with a teacher who clearly recognizes your potential and is already finding ways to keep you advancing.
You love to color. You do it just about every day. You draw such beautiful pictures and use your tablet encyclopedia app to help you spell or look at images that you draw from. You make books and comics that tell a whole story. You write sentences at the bottom depicting the scene you drew. It's so fun hearing you talk and tell me about what you're doing. You're usually at the kitchen bar while I'm in the kitchen doing something and just talking away. Sister usually interrupts at some point which irritates you but you always find a way to finish your story. You guys are always talking over each other and can be so hard to hear both your stories that just CANNOT wait to get out of your mouths.
You really want to learn to snap your fingers. You try but it's pretty pathetic. ;) You'll get there though! Your dancing skills, on the other hand are fantastic! You love to dance. Your favorite parts of movies are the end and the credits are rolling and the music is playing. You are up dancing the moment you hear a beat. I took you and sis to the movies the other day to see The Trolls. It was so good! I couldn't keep you in your seat. You kept tapping that foot then you'd get up a little and bounce then by the end credits you were up in the aisle just dancing your heart out. I let you. It was amazing.
You hate having your nails clipped but mostly your toes. It's always an ordeal. We make it through somehow but not without a show on and if I follow your steps on which toe to do first. You've always been very particular but as you've grown it's become less of a problem. Certain things still require step by step processes though.
You rarely get in trouble but when you do we punish you by sending you to your room or taking away privileges. Screen time and sweets get taken first. I really appreciate when you listen and you do for the most part. When I tell you to go to your room and you know I mean it you go without question. Your Dad and I both have talked about how well you handle punishment and son, we hate to do it but sometimes it's necessary but want you to know how much we appreciate how well you listen to us.
All of us think that you are very wise for your age. Sometimes I feel as if I'm talking to an adult. A reasonable adult. You always know the right things to say and you give the best advice.
I don't like telling this story because it hurts my heart but I want you to know what you said that touched my heart in a way that I will never forget.
We were getting ready for school one morning and we were running late. As usual. Your sister was having some kind of melt down and I was already frustrated at this point. I yelled at you guys and told you to hurry up and started rushing you around. It was just one of those crazy mornings and I lost my temper. Your dad took JK to school and you and I walked. Well, on the way you asked to walk on the left side so we could go under the "monkey tree". You waited till we got there and then said "You know mom, sometimes you get angry and it makes me sad. Maybe you should work on controlling yourself and just take three big breaths and you'll calm down. I don't like for you to be so mean and I think if you take those breaths it will help you feel better.."
Oh Jonah. I felt so small. I felt like a child being scolded but in a good way. I needed to be scolded and you said that to me in such a heart felt loving way. I listened as you spoke and took it all in. I knew what I had done that morning was wrong and I thanked you for helping me see that my behavior was wrong. I told you that I would remember to take those breaths when I get angry and I promised you I would try my best to be more patient. I still think about that day and how I felt. I'm so sorry I hurt your feelings that morning and have remembered to take those breaths since.
You really are such a sweet boy. Your heart is so good and pure. You sat down the other day and I happened to notice. You just sat there for a few seconds then got up and said "Well God just spoke to me." I asked what he said and you told me that you were asking him why it takes so long for Christmas to get here..he said that the best things are things you have to wait for...Like your birthday, It wouldn't be special if it happened all the time." You told me that a lot of people wish for things like to be fast or for super powers but you asked God for wisdom. What 6 year old kid prays to God and asks for wisdom above all else? You are a child of God Jonah and I see you leading so many to Christ. You are a natural leader..not some alpha male who commands the lead. You are intelligent and wise and people follow you because they know you are good. Like your daddy. I've never known better men than you and your dad.
You wear size 7 slim jeans, size 6/7 in shirts and size 1 shoes. We're officially out of the toddler shoe sizes. I found three pairs at the Rhea Lana sale that you actually loved. That almost never happens. Socks bother you and they have to be put on just right and be thin. I can't even pick them out anymore I just tell you to do it because you're going to change them anyway.
You weight about 52 pounds and are almost 49 inches tall.
You can definitely dress yourself but I usually do it for you. I do everything for you. Even feed you dinner occasionally. LOL I don't know you just accept my help and I don't mind dressing you or brushing your teeth. I've been doing it your entire life and until you tell you that you don't need my help I will continue. I'm not in any hurry for you to grow up. I've seen you be independent and know you can do all these things but like to help you when I can.
You wake up around 6 on most days but not allowed to leave your room till 6:30. You read until it's time to get up. Sister sometimes wakes too and crawls into your bed with books until you're allowed to get up. We set this rule because you guys were waking super early and coming into our room telling us you were ready to start the day. Anyways this seems to be working out much better and you told me you sometimes will go back to sleep after you've checked your clock so it's good. You're getting more sleep or you're reading. Both good things.
I wish I could say your eating habits have changed but they haven't. We're limited in choices and it's exhausting. Too exhausting to write about.
You love to play and run in the house the moment you get home from school. First thing you do is run to the bathroom. Then out you come wearing only the shirt you wore to school, underwear and socks, The pants go the moment you walk in. Then we talk about what's for snack and you guys sit at the bar and decide on a show to watch. It's definitely our routine. After the show is over we all go upstairs so I can work and you guys play. You love to battle your dinosaurs or color. Those are your two favorite activities right now.
You clean up without being asked which is new and something we're loving!! You brought me upstairs the other day and showed me the most beautiful clean room I've ever seen. You had picked up everything and put things back on shelves, threw away scrap paper and crayons, put sissy's shopkins away in their bin and put away all blocks, animals, cars and toys that were seriously scattered everywhere. I couldn't believe it. We made a big deal and now every once in awhile I'll walk in to a clean house. And you've done it all! So proud of you and thankful for your help.
We're going to work on a few skills this year and hope you can master them before you're 7.
You're already swimming and reading so that is AWESOME!
But you do need to learn how to ride your bike without training wheels and learn to tie your shoes. I know you can do it buddy! We just have to take the time and practice!
Here's some pictures from your birthday morning. We let you open presents from Ota and us before you went to school. We may have gone a bit over board with the Wild Kratts stuff...
Birthday breakfast.. pancakes with a candle on top. :)
And your requested favorite dinner...
Love,
Momma

0 Comments:
Post a Comment